Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Cat. Fish.

The other night, I decided to try my hand at catfish.  With much of the fish I know and love on Seafood Watch's "avoid" list (halibut, tuna...), it seemed appropriate to branch out.  The movement towards sustainable fishing advocates eating certain types of fish if they're farmed, rather than wild, and  vice-versa.  Farmed US catfish earns a "Best Choice" rating, making it one of the farmed species that is sustainably produced.  Searching "Salmon" will result in an amazingly varied report on which species of salmon caught where are a good option for consumption or should be avoided.  The Monterey Bay Aquarium offers printable pocket guides if you're interested in learning more about choosing what kind of fish to order off menus or pick up at the market.  Farmed US catfish earns a "Best Choice" rating, making it one of the farmed species that is sustainably produced. 
I oven-baked the catfish in olive oil, garlic, cilantro, and juice and rinds of lime and lemons from the tree.  I served it with rice vinegar-braised chard and brown rice.  Fifteen minutes at 420° and this is how my dinner guest felt about it:
(We're big fans of the "Thumbs Up")
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind!